Faro, Portugal, April 2012


Tell us about your childhood, family and friends.

I was born in Ivory Coast in 1983, I lived there 7 years along with my parents and 3 sisters. We all moved to Brussels, Belgium in 1990. My father was a commercial engineer; my mother is a Modern jazz dance teacher. My little sister became a lawyer, one of my older sisters became a psychologist and the other one a political scientist.

Can you share with us some moments of your life that you can’t forget?

All my travels abroad and some specific shootings such as my “Flesh and Acrylic” projects which are very particular and spectacular.

When did you start taking photographs?

During my studies in Journalism (around 2005). I first started taking press photos and then I became more interested in conceptual and artistic pictures.

What was the first photo you took?

The first artistic shooting I made was the portrait of a bodybuilder near the place where I lived at that time. I made several collages based on the photos of this man. These works are part of my early experimental sketchbooks. I should share them online soon but it’s not yet time to show them.

What was your very first camera?

It was one of these old Canon analog cameras. They look like dinosaurs now.

Do you remember your first love story?

My first love… woaw, I remember very well. It was a platonic and spiritual relationship with a girl when I was a teenager. I was really a romantic and diplomatic guy, I should have been more explicit about my feelings. Things have changed now; I’m not the same.

Who are the people that influenced you in your life?

Many professors, my parents, some extraordinary persons who took part in important events in History. Also, more simply, the people following my work. Each time I get a message or an email from one of them, it always stimulates me and gives me fresh ideas.

What is the kind of photography and art you like?

I like surrealism and I also like simplicity. I like clean pictures, possibly with no dust, bugs or strange elements.

Does the Internet have an impact on your work?

Social networks and online artists platforms such as deviantART and Flickr have helped me a lot to "spread" my creative works. I use them for this purpose mainly and also to meet amazing people. Our generation of artists (and younger ones even more) uses a lot the Internet to get recognition. That’s how it works nowadays if you’re not the son of a super famous person.

Are you happy?

I’m happy to be alive. Each morning when I wake up, I’m realizing that I’m lucky to be healthy and that I’m able to do what I like.

What is the best place in the world for you?

I would say an isolated house in the middle of a forest in a warm country.

What is the most important principle of life for you?

Respect for others.

What are your current dreams?

I am always hopeful that tomorrow will be a better day for all of us. I hope that there will be less injustice and discrimination in the world. I’m too small and don’t have enough power to change things but I do what I can in my own field to bring joy and surprise for the people who follow my work.

What about your future?

I have many projects in stock. Too many may be. I’m not sure I will be able to manage everything in a lifetime. I have to fix my priorities and make sure to know where are my real goals.

What tips can you share for young photographers from a famous photographer?

If you don’t have enough ideas or inspiration, go visit exhibitions, talk with interesting people, keep shooting as much as you can. It’s not the software, the computer or even the camera you use that will make your photos look good, it’s only your point of view, your originality and the quantity of work spent behind each image that will give some value to your work.

What is your favorite quote?

Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth” (Oscar Wilde)

(*) iFamous is an online interactive magazine talking about cultural news and lifestyle. iFamous headquarters are based in Russia.